<< >>

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Love and Quilts

I love quilts. I love to touch them, soak the colors in and think of all the time and love that go into them.

Amo los quilts . Amo como se sienten, sus colores y pensar en todo el tiempo y amor que se invierte en crear uno a mano.


My quilting skills are up there with my advanced math skills. None whatsoever. But what I am sure of, is what quilts mean to me. They mean love. I made G her quilt for her 3rd birthday. Thinking with my heart (as I usually do) I decided to use all her baby clothes and little memories I had stashed in an old suitcase because I couldn´t bare to give them away. All these tiny things meant something. So other than continuing to fill this already overflowing suitcase with memories, I cut them all into squares and made this:

Mis habilidades para crear quilts es comparable con mis habilidades en matemáticas avanzadas. Absolutamente ninguna. Pero lo que si estoy segura es lo que significan para mi. Significan amor. Hice el quilt de G para su tercer cumpleaños. Y pensando con mi corazón (como suelo hacer) decidí crear este quilt con la ropita y recuerdos de G que tenía guardados en una vieja maleta por que me sentía incapaz de regalarlos. Todas estas pequeñas cosas significan mucho. Así que contrario a seguir llenando esta desbordante maleta de recuerdos, corté todo en cuadros y creé esto:


as crooked, imperfect and filled with love as it can get

tan chueco, imperfecto y lleno de amor como pudo haber salido


One of her favorite handmade "dolls" or "watchamacallits" sits happy on all these crooked little squares, knowing that there can be lovely within imperfection.

Una de sus "muñecas" hechas a mano, o su "pichiflinqui" como le llamamos, se sienta en estos chuecos cuadritos, sabiendo que dentro de la imperfección también hay belleza.

(Mangle Verde doll by Ana Varela)

I had a nickname when I was a kid, yes a nickname. It was inspired by those huge cheeks I carried around well into my 20´s: "La Rana" (Frog...yikes! it sounds even worse in english!). This tiny piece of wonderful, with a froggie embroidered on it was given to me by someone special 14 years ago. I had been keeping it in a little box, not knowing what to do with it. And then it found a home and a reason, on my babie´s quilt. This is how I signed it, so my little girl will always remember how dear and important she is to her mama.

Yo tenía un apodo de chica, si, un apodo. Éste fue inspirado por los llamativos cachetes que cargué hasta los veintitantos: "La Rana". Este pedacito de hermoso, con una ranita bordada es un regalo que recibí hace 14 años de alguien muy especial. Lo había mantenido guardado en una pequeña cajita, sin saber que hacer con el. Por fin encontró un hogar y una razón de ser en el quilt de mi nena. Así es como la firmé, para que mi niña siempre recuerde lo querida e importante que es para su mamita.



Since I made the quilt I had been wanting to make one for my beautiful boy. I saw how he would watch me sew away, and he once told me he wished I could make something that special for him.

Desde que hice el quilt he querido hacer uno para mi niño. Ví como me observaba mientras cocía y alguna vez me mencionó cómo le gustaría que yo hiciera algo así de especial para el.


I never could think of a quilt as something other than romantic and feminine. So I must say I was H-A-P-P-Y to find such inspiration as this:

Nunca lograba considerar un quilt algo que no representara lo femenino y romántico. Así que debo confesar que me puse "re-felíz" al encontrar inspiración tal como esta:


Of course this is way over my league, but it sure does inspire!

Claro que está más allá de mis capacidades "quiltísticas", pero ¡que manera de inspirar!

If you liked G´s "wathchamacallit", check out more of Mangle Verde and Ana Varela´s work!:

Si te gustó el "pichiflinqui" de G, pasa a ver más de Mangle Verde y las creaciones de Ana Varela!


Just had to share this on:



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Quilts are a hug that you can keep. What treasures you are making for your little ones.

    ReplyDelete