<< >>

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Thursday, November 3, 2011

mommy made a mess / mamita hizo un desastre

I woke up this morning after a day at home with the kids in the middle of the week, with a stuffy nose, terrible sinus pain, and swearing it was Monday.
I loaded my kiddos + 1 car pool kiddo + me in a cute hat (just to hide my bed-head) and an oversized sweater + all the bottles, carboard boxes, cans, paper and plastic bags that 2 families can accumulate in 3 months if we want to recycle, packed all this into the car and headed for school.
I had promised myself that after that was taken care of I would OBLIGATE myself to spend the morning in bed getting over this horrible flu. I would not sew, I would not do the laundry, I would not think of all the things that are left undone when mommy is indisposed (which is basically N-E-V-E-R), and I WOULD NOT worry about it.

Desperté esta mañana después de un día en casa con los niños a la mitad de la semana, con la naríz tapada, una sinusitis del terror y jurando que era lunes.
Empaqué el auto con mis chicos + la nena que llevo a la escuela + yo con una linda boina (para tapar la cabezota de cama) y un sweter enorme + todas las botellas, cajas de cartón, latas, papel y bolsas de plástico que 2 familias pueden acumular en el transcurso de 3 meses para llevar a reciclar, y partí para la escuela.
Me había prometido que después de ocuparme de todo eso, me OBLIGARÍA a pasar la mañana en la cama superando esta horrenda gripa. No cosería, no lavaría ropa, no pensaría en todas las cosas que se dejan de hacer cuando mami está fuera de servicio (lo cual sucede una ves cada N-U-N-C-A), y NO me preocuparía por ello.


I got home, started making myself breakfast while peeking into my daily planner just to jot down my son´s next dentist appointment, and there it was: HELL IN A SENTENCE. Today was Thursday NOT Monday, and today it was my turn to take lunch to school, not for 1 hungry kid, but for TWENTY. This is something I usually plan 1 week before, AND being the control friek that I am, I lost it! I figure I have such an amount of booger stuffed into my forehead, that it has now officially affected my brain function. So, instead of having one week to buy, plan, cook, etc, I found myself with exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes to boil 20 eggs, make rice pudding for a small army, gallons of orange juice and get it to school before 10am. So I did what, according to the instruction manual living in my head, should always be done when in emergencies like these:


1. Promise to NEVER REPEAT THE SAME STUPIDITY AGAIN
2. Scream, panic, and feel the tears start to rise (supressing them only for fear of having my sinus pain get even worse)
3. Run to the store just around the corner in what I later found out was basically a see-through skirt (no wonder I got all those stares and horns honking...REALLY?! I´m 35, I´m not up for this anymore!)
4. Start to solve the problem as fast as posible, boil eggs, make miracle rice pudding, HAND squeeze 8 oranges (yes, people, no orange-squeezer-thingy)
5. Jump into the car, give husband the deadly stare, have him look back with a huge question mark on his face
6. Drive off, quickly, but safely, making sure not to turn anything over or spill the orange juice
7. Spill it anyways
8. Get to school on time, give lunch to the teacher
9. Start soaking up the orange juice from the bottom of the car with a rag, wring it and repeat until it doesn´t look like a small animal would drown if left on the floor of my car
10. Get home and finish washing and drying the damn thing
11. Run upstairs, explain it all to the hubby, hug him, and crawl to the shower with zero energy left (maybe I should of showered before the hug, right?)

Llegué a casa y comenzé a prepararme un desayuno mientras daba una hojeada a mi agenda solo para apuntar la siguiente cita de mi hijo con el dentista, y ahí estaba: INFIERNO EN UN ENUNCIADO. Hoy es jueves, no lunes, y hoy me tocaba a mi llevar el almuerzo a la escuela, no para un niño ambriento, sino para VEINTE. Esto es algo que normalmente planeo con una semana de anticipación, Y siendo la controladora que soy, ¡perdí los estribos! Supongo que tengo tánta cantidad de moco empotrado en la frente, que ha oficialmente afectado mi funcionamiento cerebral. Así que en vez de tener una semana para comprar, planear, cocinar, etc, me encontraba con exactamente una hora y 15 minutos para hervir 20 huevos, hacer arroz con leche para un pequeño ejército, galones de agua de naranja y llevarlo a la escuela antes de las 10am. Asi que hice lo que el manual operativo que habita en mi cabeza indica que se debe hacer en situaciones de emergencia como esta:

1. Prometer NUNCA REPETIR LA MISMA ESTUPIDEZ
2. Gritar, entrar en pánico y comenzar a sentir como se acercan las lágrimas (reprimiéndolas solo por temor a empeorar la sinusitis)
3. Correr a la tienda cerca de la casa en lo que, después descubrí era una falda practicamente transparente (con razón recibía tántas miradas y claxonazos.... ¡¿DE VERAS?! ¡Tengo 35 años, ya no estoy para estas cosas!)
4. Comenzar a solucionar el problema a toda velocidad, hervir huevos, crear el arroz con leche milagroso. Exprimir 8 naranjas A MANO (si, gente, no tengo una pichiflinqui-exprime-naranjas)
5. Saltar al coche, dirigir mirada matadora al esposo, recibir su mirada de signo de interrogación de regreso
6. Salir manejando de prisa pero con cuidado para no tirar el agua de naranja
7. Tirarlo de todas formas
8. Llegar a la escuela a tiempo, entregar almuerzo
9. Empezar a absorber todo el agua del piso del auto con un trapo, exprimir, y repetir el procedimiento hasta que deje de parecer que si se colocara un pequeño animal en el piso de mi auto, moriría ahogado
10. Llegar a casa para terminar de lavar y secar la maldita cosa
11. Subir corriendo a la casa, explicarselo todo a mi marido, abrazarlo y arrastrarme a la regadera con la escasa energía que me queda (quizá me debí haber bañado antes del abrazo, verdad?)


Now I´m writing from bed. I´m tucked in under a blanket my mamita knit for me and just finished watching a movie. I made it. I got to lay in bed for a while with no guilt involved. I still can´t believe all the chaos I was able to cram into a few hours, but you know what?, I can´t possibly keep everything under control the whole time. What I CAN do is sit back and laugh a bit, reminding my little self that I do all this becase I LOVE being a mommy, and that, like my sweet, sweet husband says, "Mamita is the magic that glues us together, making this house a home". So, here´s to mommies, boogers and caos. Long live mommyhood and long live this beautiful life!

Ahora escribo desde la cama. Estoy escondida debajo de una frazada que me tejió mi mamita y acabo de terminar de ver una pelicula. Lo logré. Pude acostarme en la cama un rato sin sentimiento de culpa. Aún no puedo creer la cantidad de caos que logré meter en unas cuantas horas, pero, ¿saben qué? no es posible que yo mantenga todo bajo control a toda hora. Lo que SÍ puedo hacer es relajarme y reír un rato, recordándome que hago todo esto porque AMO ser mamá, y que, como mi dulce, dulce esposo dice, "Mamita es la magia que nos mantiene unidos, haciendo de esta casa un hogar". Así que ésta se la dedico a las mamitas, los mocos y el caos. ¡Que viva la maternidad y que viva esta hermosa vida!


Sharin´the caos on:


6 comments:

  1. Oh What a horrid day! I hope you feel better very very soon.

    You are a wonderful Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim:
    sniff..sniff... thankyou for the wonderful mommy part... I actually gotta good laugh out of my terrible thursday/not -so-monday.... have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry this happened...but it happens to all of us. You handled it with grace...now stay in bed and get better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey sweet Chris! Don´t be sorry! I actually find it hilarious! Guess that´s why I turned it into a post... big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jaja...That was so funny..it reminded me of a similar day I had, I'll send you a message on FB. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! yo sencillamente hubiera entrado en pánico y me hubiera paralizado! y a pesar de todo conservaste la calma y pusiste manos en acción. Te admiro! y es verdad, una mamá generalmente nunca está fuera de servicio, a menos que la ataque una gripa/dolor/laringitis/loquesea fuertísimo!!
    Y casi casi derramo una lagrimilla con lo que te dijo tu dulce esposo... me parece a mi que no abundan los hombres que externan así las cosas =)

    ReplyDelete